WHEN June 1st – 30th 2015
WHERE Throughout New Orleans
COST Free for first 5 registrants. After that, $30 for Eat Local Challenge enrollment.
For the month of June, Eat LocalNOLA, Bike Easy, and RIDE New Orleans are challenging you to eat local and avoid riding in cars. Challenge yourself to go 30 days only using alternative transportation – like walking, biking, and riding transit – and eating only foods grown, caught or raised within a 200-mile radius of New Orleans in order to drastically lower your carbon footprint. Participating in the Eat Local Footprint Challenge will raise your awareness of the health, economic, environmental and cultural benefits of eating locally sourced foods and using alternative transportation.
Successful Eat Local Footprint Challenge participants will be in the running to receive great prizes like a Hollygrove Produce Box, RTA Jazzy Pass courtesy of RIDE New Orleans, Bike Easy membership and swag, Green Project Platinum Membership, and more.
Here’s how it works:
- Join the Eat Local Challenge at your preferred strictness level
- Get ready to enjoy the health, economic, and environmental benefits of eating locally and using alternative transportation for the month of June
Rules of the Eat Local Low Carbon Challenge:
- Commit to eating locally per Eat Local Challenge Rules
- Commit to not driving your motor vehicle for the month of June, and self-report your success
- Take a photo or selfie using alternative transportation every day (i.e. on the bus or streetcar, on your bike, walking) and post the image to social media (instagram, facebook or twitter) using the hashtag #EatLocalFootprintChallenge
You’ll report your successes/difficulties and reflect on eating locally and not driving through brief weekly updates submitted through email (you’ll receive an email with more details once you’re officially signed up).
You do not need to be a registered participant of the Eat Local Challenge to enter!
The most successful participant (most days without car, most pics on social media, best adherence to eating locally) will receive the prize! In the case of a tie, a winner will be drawn at random by Bike Easy.
Participants who wish to enter need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line #EatLocalFootprintChallenge In the email, the participant must write the following paragraph followed by their full name:
“As I maneuver through the 30 days of eating locally I pledge to stay carbon free with my transportation needs and not to start my vehicle (unless in the case of an emergency). I pledge to carpool, walk, ride my bike and use public transit for all of my transportation requirements.” —- Name of Contestant
***In Addition, The first five contestants that send in the email pledge to email@example.com will receive full free registration to the 2015 Eat Local Challenge. A $30 value. Full list of perks are listed here! ***