RTA’s New Links is launching Sunday, September 25th and RIDE intends to ensure transit riders know exactly how these exciting changes will affect them! RIDE is busy working with transit riders and the RTA to support the New Links transition.
New Links is a network redesign based upon input from over 3,000 local transit riders. The New Links redesign addresses needs such as:
- Better access to jobs, healthcare, and major destinations
- Shorter wait times
- More all-day, weekend, and late-night service
- More connections and less waiting between transfers
This restructuring is HUGE for transit riders, and has the potential to improve almost every aspect of the rider experience!
Here’s what RIDE knows, so far, about what to expect as the New Links implementation date (Sept. 25) nears:
- The redesign means that some routes will change in order to streamline trips. According to RTA, 285 stops will be closed and replaced with 51 strategic, new stops. 1,600 stops will be upgraded/changed in some way to improve travel.
- To view New Links route maps by service area CLICK HERE.
- RTA has hired Transit Ambassadors to aid in New Links outreach. Ambassadors start this week and will be traveling between popular stops and hubs throughout the city with resources to help riders prepare for and navigate New Links. The Ambassadors will also visit senior centers, and other spaces where they can speak to community members about New Links.
- The downtown New Orleans transfer hub, as well as the New Orleans East transfer hub, are both slated for completion on September 21, just ahead of the New Links launch.
- RTA will be installing temporary and permanent signage at affected stops regarding route updates and changes
- RIDE and RTA will both be hosting in-person events and meetings to raise rider awareness about New Links
- RIDE is waiting for updated New Links stops and schedules from RTA.
RIDE is eager to obtain finalized stops and schedules from RTA so that we may begin our own outreach in support of the New Links transition. We’re looking forward to New Links and the many ways it will improve travel within the region!
RIDE will continue to share information about New Links as we receive it. If you have any questions about New Links or how the redesign will affect your commute, don’t hesitate to reach out to RIDE!
How can YOU keep up-to-date with New Links?